Putting in the floor
I bought the cheapest tanalised planking I could find from the local timber supplier. It came in 6 inch by one inch planks and was useful for all sorts of things. The formula pie x radius squared gave me the calculation for the area and I initially considered using sheets of loft flooring but the planks worked out cheaper and were more adaptable. There was some guidance online about needing supports every 18 inches and with quite thin floorboards, so I stuck to this. So 3.14 x 265 [radius] squared worked out at about 8 square metres. I think I ordered 10 as it is always useful.
The largest floor beams I had purchased were 3 x 3 and I set out to infill support in between the beams. For this I used 2 x 2 [inches] and supported them underneath by nailing 1 x 1 wooden supports into the main 3 x 3 beams. I initially alternated between the 12 big beam sections for good access from either side. Some sections had different layouts for eg a trap door.
At one stage I was planning a sunken yurt bath but that went somewhere else. Once the supports for the sections were in place I measured, cut and screwed-in the individual planks to the main beams to build the floor, but I built the above sections first to photograph the process.
Of course it started raining – this is Cornwall! After a struggle I managed to get the parachute over the yurt and it fitted so well and started to feel like a real ‘internal’ space and kept the worst of the weather away.
I tied off the bottom of the parachute [after cutting the joined strings] to the lower horizontal cross bar and got to work on the floor installation. It was a very pleasant summer work environment.